Procida, the island in the province of Naples, is the Italian Capital of Culture 2022.
It is the first time that the recognition has been assigned to a small village and not to a provincial or regional capital.
Procida has just over 10 thousand inhabitants!
A wonderful island, characterized by the color that sometimes also dominates the blue of the sea that surrounds the small island.
The motivation that crowned Procida is important and interesting:
the cultural project presents elements of attractiveness and excellent quality. The context of local and regional public and private support is well structured. The patrimonial and landscape dimension of the place is extraordinary. The laboratory dimension which includes social aspects of technological diffusion is dedicated to the Tyrrhenian islands, but is relevant for all the realities of the small Mediterranean islands. Thanks to the combination of these factors, the project could determine an authentic discontinuity in the territory and represent a model for sustainable development processes based on culture of the island and coastal realities of the country. The project is also capable of transmitting a poetic message, a vision of culture that extends from the small reality of the island as a wish for all of us, to the country in the months that await us.
THE PROJECT OF PROCIDA: “CULTURE DOES NOT ISLAND”
The project is divided into a calendar that includes 44 cultural projects, 330 days of programming, 240 artists, 40 original works, 8 regenerated cultural spaces.
Five sections of the program:
– Procida invents. Projects that plan properly artistic processes and events: exhibitions, cinema, performances and site specific works
– Procida inspires. Projects that nominate the island as a source of inspiration, both as a real place and as an imaginary space
– Procida includes. Social inclusion projects that use the languages of art as tools for the expression of the individual placed in relation to the community
– Procida innovates. Projects that promote the relationship between culture and innovation, fostering moments of confrontation between the national community of innovators and the local community, in a path of strategic rethinking of their cultural heritage
– Procida learns. Projects that promote the strengthening of an educating community, through the creation of open alliances that aim to involve all territorial subjects from public to private social.